Here we bring you 22 curious facts that will surely surprise you about dogs and cats. Our pets always have wonderful and curious things for us.
1. Cats are lactose intolerant. Like most mammals, cats lose that ability to digest milk daily after childhood. Giving milk to an adult cat can mean suffering from upset stomach or diarrhea.
2. Dogs with “boring” faces tend to have more health problems. The bony structure of the face of Pugs, Boxers and Bulldogs makes them more prone to respiratory diseases, dental problems and other types of inconveniences.
3. Cats have 100 vocal cords, which allows them to make about 100 different sounds or vocalizations; The dogs are capable of making ten nothing more.
4. All Dalmatians are born white. White spots begin to appear in the first weeks of life.
5. Hunting is not an instinctive behavior in the cat. If a kitten does not learn to hunt with her mother or another cat does not teach her this practice, she probably will not.
6. The sense of smell of a dog is one hundred thousand times more sensitive than that of a human. While humans have about five million nose-catchers, a Bloodhound has three hundred million receivers.
7. A domestic cat sleeps an approximate 16 hours daily. By making a calculation, the cat sleeps more than half of its life. Big cats, which employ large amounts of energy hunting, sleep even more than a domestic cat.
8. The sweat glands of dogs are between the pads of their paws. Dogs dissipate the most heat through panting.
9. Cats can be right or left handed. Psychologists at the University of Belfast, Northern Ireland, found that female cats tended to be straight, while males tended to be left-handed. As in humans, some cats can also be ambidextrous.
10. Dogs are one of two mammals that have prostates. The other species is the human being.
11. Three-colored cats (Calico cats) are almost always females. In cats the coat color gene is related to sex. In fact, there is rarely genetic variation in which a male cat is of the “Calico” type; These cats are always sterile.
12. Dogs can see colors. But they do not see colors as vivid as human beings.
13. All cats are born with blue eyes. They change them shortly after birth.
14. The wet nose of dogs helps them to smell better. Humidity helps them trap the chemical odors particles that polish in the air.
15. Most blue-eyed white cats are born deaf – the average is 65% to 85% – according to the Cornell College of Veterinary Medicine.
16. The only breed of dog that does not bark is the Basenji. This is due to a genetic formation in their larynx that does not allow them to produce that sound. However, they produce common sounds for dogs like growl, howl, among others.
17. Cats do not make other cats meow. In most cases they reserve that sound to attract the attention of humans.
18. Dogs do not have clavicles. The discs on their shoulders allow them greater mobility and a superior range for running and jumping.
19. When cats walk, they move their left hind paw to the front. The same goes for the other side. The only animals that also walk like this are camels and giraffes.
20. A domestic dog can mate with a wolf. The two animals are still related in a close fashion to have a breeding.
21. The dog takes 18 muscles to move his ear. The cat takes 32. The human has 3 very rudimentary muscles.
22. Both the dog’s nose and the cat’s nose are unique. They have fingerprints on their noses like fingerprints on the human being.